West Zone Information
The West Zone is comprised of three clubs including the Parkland Posse, West Edmonton Blues, and Westlock Rock. At this level, any player at U13, U15, and U17 is welcome to try out to play on the West Zone ‘A’ Team. These teams offer players the opportunity to play at the highest skill level.
Registration to try out for an ‘A’ team is managed by the Parkland Posse and must be completed through the Parkland Posse website as a separate registration to each club’s regular-season registration.
Prior to registering for 'A' Tryouts on the Posse website, each player MUST be registered for the regular season with their home club.
U17 Playing Season / Format
Thanks to the success of the Wild Rose Lacrosse League, the U17 ‘A’ teams will once again play in that league. This is a provincial-wide U17 league which consists of an inter-locking schedule of play between teams in Calgary, Red Deer, and Saskatoon. This will require some scheduled travel and these teams will have extra considerations and directions they will have to abide by including trips to Calgary to play the teams in the south. Additional information and final details will be coming in the next few weeks. Final details of that league will be made available prior to ‘A’ try-outs.
‘A‘ Team Guidelines
- Practices and Home games will be distributed between all three clubs.
- Coaching selection will be done via applications and an interview process with representatives of all three clubs.
- Evaluations will be completed by impartial evaluators provided by all three clubs.
- The team will wear the jerseys of the ‘host club’.
- ‘Hosting’ is purely an administrative function and currently defaults to the Parkland Posse. Any shifting of the ‘Host’ club will be decided by a committee made up of all three clubs and based on the circumstances of that particular team.
- Prior to the release of final roster selections, each club will review and approve the selections.
What your child should expect
- Exposure and instruction from some of the best coaches in the GELC.
- An expectation to attend all practices and games with a positive attitude and excellent work ethic.
- An expectation of being a team player. These are Zone teams. Regardless of the jersey, they are wearing or who the Host club is, players are expected to drop club allegiances and adopt a ‘Zone Team’ attitude.
- An intense, but fun experience and lots of skill development.
What parents should expect
- To see their child challenged against the most skilled players in the GELC.
- Additional costs associated with travel, floor time, etc.
- Fee for Try-out. This fee covers costs of floor time, pay to evaluators, and equipment costs. Money leftover from the ‘A’ registration fees collected following the try-our process will be split between the 'A' teams as seed funds.
- To come together with parents from other clubs to form a cohesive group to support the players who were at one time - and maybe again in subsequent years - playing as rivals against each other.
- Have fun and watch your kids grow.
Fees for ‘A’ tryouts are $70.
*** NOTE *** This fee is over and above your regular club registration.
Dates and Location
All tryout sessions will be held at the Tri Leisure Centre in Spruce Grove.
Sessions will be held over 4 sessions on March 6, 7, 9, and 10.
Schedule will be the same for each day as follows
U13 6:15 p.m. - 7:15 p.m.
U15 7:15 p.m. - 8:15 p.m.
U17 8:15 p.m. - 9:15 p.m.
- Each player must attend a minimum of one session. If unable to attend additional sessions, information from previous coaches/experience may be considered.
- Every player registering for ‘A’ tryouts must be actively registered at their home club.
- The process and method of evaluation and selection is managed by a committee made up of representatives of all three clubs.
- Following final selections, any player not selected to play on the ‘A’ team will be instructed to return to their home club for evaluation and placement onto a ‘B’ Parity team.
We thank you for your support of the Zone concept and of your players who wish to compete at this level. Should you have any questions or need further information, please contact your Age Division Director or club President.
Please go to the Parkland Posse website to register for these tryouts: